Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Raviol(in)i of celeriac and thyme

According to my Grower's Market book, celeriac is 'an unpromising-looking brute of a vegetable'. That description strikes me as a tad unfair, given that few root vegetables would win first prize in a beauty contest, but I see what the writer is getting at. Celeriac does look brutish, in some ways; it looks tough, in any case, butch and uncompromising, compared with, say, the sylph-like grace of an asparagus tip or the subtle prettiness of purple sprouting broccoli. Yet celeriac is far less scary than it looks - it makes wonderful mash, for instance, and it works well roasted, too. I hadn't tried it as a filling for ravioli until yesterday, in fact, I'd never have considered it until I saw the idea in Jamie's book, but then, we've only been making our own ravioli since August so we are still relative novices, with countless potential ravioli fillings left to try out.

This time, the pasta was made with pureed spinach as well as with eggs and flour. I used baby spinach and cooked it very briefly before pureeing it; larger-leafed spinach leaves would have been cooked for longer and yielded a stronger colour, but I was using what I had.

The filling is made as follows: for enough for four people, cook diced celeriac with thyme leaves, seasoning and a little olive oil on a high heat until the celeriac has some colour, then turn the heat down to medium and add chopped garlic and chilli, cooking for another 3 or 4 minutes. Add boiling water, cover the pan and cook on a low heat for 20-25 minutes, untl the celeriac is soft and the water has evaporated. Smash the celeriac up with a potato masher and cool before filling the pasta.

At this stage, we cheated. Jamie stipulates raviolini, not ravioli, but we were hungry and time was marching on, so we made it into ravioli instead, which is quicker.


I should pause at this moment and say that when we bought the pasta machine (a manual Imperia one) there was a flicker of doubt in my mind as to how often we would use it. I know some people with pasta makers use them once and then effectively consign them to the Gadget Graveyard and I hoped we wouldn't. I can safely say that it was worth its weight in gold. I love fresh homemade pasta (that so-called 'fresh pasta' sold in the supermarkets bears no resemblance to it) and Jamie's recipes for it are inventive and tasty. I am not an experimental cook - I follow recipes, don't make them up myself - but I think I will start inventing fillings for ravioli, which may or may not work! This ravioli, though, was delicious, a pleasure to eat - and a funky colour to boot.

6 comments:

Freya said...

As part of my ongoing attempt to overcome anything anise tasting, I must try Celeriac again! I love the colour of the Raviol(inini)! Looks scrumptious!
Freya x

Lady M said...

Lovely color! Looks beautiful. I have no idea what raviolini is, but I am a bit of a pre-novice when it comes to making pasta, as in I have never done so -- unless you count using wonton noodles to make ravioli, LOL.

xoxo
Ilana

Kathryn said...

Raviolini is just small ravioli. The colour is kind of cute, isn't it?

Freya, celeriac is yummy and not at all aniseed!

Ilana, make some pasta now you have a new kitchen! It is quite therapeutic and the results are fab.

Kathryn x

Anonymous said...


Hey! I know this is somewhat off topicقهوة but I was wondering
if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form قمر?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
دليل الطائف
Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, let alone
the content!
الشريف

Anonymous said...



طبخ I would like to show thanks to you for rescuing me from this circumstance. After browsing through the the net and coming across ideas which are not beneficial, الطائف I was thinking my entire life was gone. Living without the approaches to the problems you have resolved by means of this article is a serious case, as well as ones which may have badly damaged my career if I had not encountered your site. الشريف Your personal training and kindness in handling all the pieces was vital. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a point like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. كيكة Thanks very much for this reliable and results-oriented guide. I won’t think twice to suggest the website to anyone who needs to have care about this problem. coach outlet مدينة الطائف