Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sctoch stovie (again!)

Yesterday, I returned to the dentist to have my tricky tooth checked out and to have a small filling in the other side of my mouth. The filling was fine, but left me with half of my mouth numb and the other half still in pain from before, which made eating logistically impossible. The tooth that has plagued me for the last five weeks apparently (according to my dentist) just 'needs time to bed down'; if it doesn't 'settle' (again, his words, not mine) then the choices are root canal work or extraction. You can imagine how cheered I felt as I left the dentist. Worse than that, though, I felt somewhat despairing, because the television was on in the waiting-room (which also irritates me, because it distracts from reading or planning classes, which is what I was trying to do), showing a programme I'd never seen but that appeared to be a British version of Jerry Springer, with an argument over which of two men was the father of a baby leading to a DNA test, the results of which were delivered live to the studio. I know these programmes exist; I used to watch their predecessors (Kilroy, Vanessa, eventually Trisha) sometimes when I was a student and kept the television on as wallpaper while I wrote endless essays. I just choose not to watch them because they are so disheartening and distasteful. One man didn't want to be the father and turned out to be; the other, who had been looking after the baby, was longing to be the biological father and of course wasn't. Both cried; the mother was stony-faced (apart from when she threatened to beat up her best friend for a crime I can't recall). I was almost glad to begin the dental work simply to get away from the vile programme (which seemed to be called the Jeremy Kyle show or something akin) and the message it was sending me about contemporary British society. I was less repulsed by the characters exposing their sordid lives on camera than the idea that people actually watch this kind of charade. A lot of daytime television is trash, admittedly, but what's wrong with the sort of frothy This Morning format for mindless entertainment?

Fastforwarding a full day's work to last night, I decided to make Scotch stovies again. I had made them once before but they didn't colour properly; apparently I didn't brown the onion for long enough. This time, I was more careful. The method is described here from my last attempt, so I won't go through it all again. Suffice it to say that this time I got more colour, although not as much as Jamie's picture.


It didn't matter - the stovie was really nice, very tasty. We served it with hake fillets topped with tapenade and baked in the oven (a simplification of a Rick Stein recipe), plus spinach and it worked well as a combination for an easy weekday dinner. Fortunately my mouth was no longer numb so I could appreciate it.



Here's to hoping that the tricky tooth 'settles in' soon!

9 comments:

Freya said...

Kathryn,
"called the Jeremy Kyle show or something"...I think you're more familiar with this show than you let on! Actually, I agree with you. These shows prey on peoples insecurities and pass it off as entertainment, much the same as Big Brother (celebrity or otherwise). I suppose it's part of the human condition to enjoy seeing others in discomfort? I don't know, I generally just watch food shows (thank goodness for Sky) and avoid anything on channels 1-5! And if you have no alternative (ie in a waiting room) then that's even worse!
On the bright side, the stovie looks so good!
Hope you feel better soon!
Freya x

Anonymous said...

The mother who threatened to beat up her best friend - wasn't Jade "Bully" Goody was it?! She seems to have been on every other TV programme this week.

Simon

Kathryn said...

Ha ha Freya. I'd really never even heard of this show!

And ha ha Simon - no, I think I'd have recognized Jade Goody.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is somewhat off topicقهوة but I was wondering
if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form قمر?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
دليل الطائف
Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, let alone
the content!
الشريف

Anonymous said...



طبخ I would like to show thanks to you for rescuing me from this circumstance. After browsing through the the net and coming across ideas which are not beneficial, الطائف I was thinking my entire life was gone. Living without the approaches to the problems you have resolved by means of this article is a serious case, as well as ones which may have badly damaged my career if I had not encountered your site. الشريف Your personal training and kindness in handling all the pieces was vital. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a point like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. كيكة Thanks very much for this reliable and results-oriented guide. I won’t think twice to suggest the website to anyone who needs to have care about this problem. coach outlet مدينة الطائف

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I am aiming to publish brochures in color
and was wondering exactly how it would certainly be for 200.

I am a bit baffled with the framework above, a
buddy of mine deliver it to me and I was speculating if you desire deliver me
even more specifics on copy rates and all that you do.

Sev.

Here is my site xerox phaser 8560 driver

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can easily download and install Hp Laserjet 1020 printer
motorists from this website, plz follow this like for Hp laserjet vehicle driver Download for hp 1020.


Feel free to visit my blog :: xerox phaser 8560
ink ()

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave
it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic
but I had to tell someone!

My web site LG 42LS5600 LED TV :: ::