Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tea-party fairy cakes

Where are all the tea parties? So many cookbooks have sections devoted to tea parties and when celebrities are interviewed they often extol the virtues of afternoon tea. I never get invited to tea parties. In fact, I think my one and only tea party was when I was a student and an American exchange girl liked the idea of an English afternoon tea, so she invited everyone round for outsized mismatched and chipped student-style mugs of PG Tips, with chewy Sainsburys scones, a Sara Lee chocolate cake and a packet of digestives; we sat around on the floor and on the bed, because she didn't have a table. She called it afternoon tea, but it was just a formalization of normal student behaviour - that is, sitting around drinking endless mugs of tea and eating biscuits (no one should be surprised that we moved seamlessly from tea to gin and tonic, and eventually onto the local pub when the gin bottle ran dry). Hardly afternoon tea as I imagine it, with delicate, crustless cucumber sandwiches, homemade scones with jam and clotted cream, Earl Grey in little china tea cups, and doilies (there has to be doilies. I don't own any doilies, but I do recall biscuits appearing on doilies during my childhood). Anyone out there who wants to invite me to afternoon tea, please feel free - I've been missing out. Although I'm not entirely sure how afternoon tea fits into a busy working schedule...

These musings are not entirely irrelevant to fairy cakes, because Jamie points out that they are great to serve at tea parties. I can't imagine Jamie at a tea party. The photo is incongruous, of a tiered cake stand with cutesy little cupcakes in shades of pink; it doesn't look like the sort of picture you would tend to find in a Jamie cookbook. The icing is not immaculately smooth, though, which it might be in a different kind of book; moreover, the icing has fresh fruit in it, which raises these little cakes up a notch, or at least sets them apart a bit from the standard fairy cakes that everyone can make.

At the risk of sounding like a fairy cake bore, which I am not, all fairy cakes are not the same. Nigella's fairy cakes, which I usually make, contain milk and vanilla extract; Jamie's have lemon instead, and you can taste the lemon in his sponge, which makes a difference (I don't know which I prefer. They're just different). The sponge recipe is the same as for the Victoria sponge
that I made recently, so I won't repeat it; the difference here is simply using bun tins and cooking for a little less time. The icing is the interesting part: mash up some fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries or blackberries) and mix with icing sugar, then drizzle over. Jamie suggests adding crystallized fruit petals for decoration, but I used a heart-shaped bun tin so I thought mine were cutesy enough.


The fresh fruit icing is unsurprisingly delicious, much nicer than plain icing; mine was runny, as you can see, because I wanted a lot of fruit in the icing (Jamie's is runny too). The only problem is that the fresh fruit icing doesn't last long, which means you have to eat them up quickly - in some ways that isn't such a problem since they taste good and are little mouthfuls of sweetness. I only made half the suggested recipe amount, and gave some away immediately...

I like cupcakes, fairy cakes, whatever you want to call them, because I like food in miniature; I prefer cupcakes to muffins. Sometimes in a coffee shop the muffins look obscenely enormous and off-putting, whereas a cupcake slides down easily. I made cupcakes for our wedding last year, because I had to work up until the evening before and didn't want to make a cake because we were having an untraditional wedding and would have had to carry uneaten cake to the next stage of the proceedings; it seemed a bit complicated. I liked the idea of the guests taking a little cake home each. Here are our wedding cakes:


I bought the stand (above) from an Ebay seller to hold the cupcakes for the wedding (it was a small wedding - only 26 of us). It occurs to me that I now have a cupcake stand, so maybe I should host an afternoon tea, and give in to my urge for crustless sandwiches and scones, and fragrant Earl Grey, plus fairy cakes, this time with the fresh fruit icing. Part of me sees afternoon tea as horribly upper class - and not only do I have no desire to be upper class, but also they wouldn't have me even if I did. That said, there is no reason why afternoon tea has to have anything to do with social class. After all, it is a truth universally acknowledged, as Jane Austen might have said but didn't quite, that everyone likes cupcakes.

9 comments:

Freya said...

Those cakes look delicious (both Jamies and your wedding ones, what a great idea to give your guests!).
If only you lived closer, we could have a tea party with cucumber sandwiches, your fairy cakes, lashings of ginger ale and we could discuss the Chalet School!!
Freya x

CJ said...

I'm currently going through a cup cake phase because like you I much prefer food in miniature. I bought a Womens Weekly Cupcake recipe book a coupleof months ago and have made a couple of recipes and will probably make something next week for a farewell afternoon tea at work.
Also, I do have a cooking-related blog (as opposed to the running blog you would've looked at) - its http://burnt-sugar.blogspot.com. Its pretty basic because I'm still coming to terms with cooking again (I have been slack for many years!) and taking food photos - there is definitely an art to it and i haven't grasped it yet!

litlove said...

Ah! A picture of the stand! Why thank you so much for posting that. For some reason it was something that used to fire my imagination, and I wondered how it looked. I have to say in my head it was bigger, and more like something you would find in a rampant cyberjungle. The real thing is more graceful and restrained!

Kathryn said...

Freya, you're on. Nobody around me is interested in the Chalet School!! Maybe we could have midnight feasts, too (!). Lashings of ginger ale definitely...

CJ, I just think cupcakes are so cute! I just checked out your blog and commented there, but to repeat - I am with you on Bill; I love that book.

Litlove, I am very disappointed that you might have thought me capable of choosing something horrible. I don't really do excess flamboyance. I'm more understated, really.

Charlotte, instead of moving to Essex to have ginger ale with Freya, maybe I'll move to Germany and invite myself around for afternoon coffee and cakes. It is wondrously civilised! I am intrigued by the muffin thing - what do Germans call what we call muffins?? Big muffins??

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Ahem!

Who iced those wedding cupcakes again?!

Simon (that's who LOLOL!)
xxxx

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed by your wedding cakes. What a brilliant idea! I love the stand. It's almost as if it was designed for wedding cakes.

Ooh, and fairy cakes with Earl Grey - the perfect combination. Funnily enough, the only time I've ever had morning or afternoon tea (and it being referred to as that) is in Australia, although here it usually just means a cuppa and a biscuit. It made me laugh when I first came here - I did a doubletake because it sounded so posh.

Anonymous said...

Exakt richtig

Anonymous said...

Thanks very nice blog!
Also see my site - http://serena18.thumblogger.com

Anonymous said...



طبخ I would like to show thanks to you for rescuing me from this circumstance. After browsing through the the net and coming across ideas which are not beneficial, الطائف I was thinking my entire life was gone. Living without the approaches to the problems you have resolved by means of this article is a serious case, as well as ones which may have badly damaged my career if I had not encountered your site. الشريف Your personal training and kindness in handling all the pieces was vital. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a point like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. كيكة Thanks very much for this reliable and results-oriented guide. I won’t think twice to suggest the website to anyone who needs to have care about this problem. coach outlet مدينة الطائف